Friday 20 May 2011

wifi device applications


I might be “out”, but I still feel surprised this evening when I saw a TV report about a so-called “WiFi Stealer” , a wireless device which can detect your WiFi network and try to crack your password, then use your bandwidth to surf the Internet free.  And in China, though it is banned to sell it publicly, you can still get such device with about 100~ 200 RMB (about US 15~28$), and the password crack is also quite easy and quick.
I thought my home wireless network is secure and safe. But now I was wrong. And I did some search on the Internet(searching it with Chinese keyword “蹭网卡”). And I saw a lot of such device sellers online. Something like below.

Don’t laugh. Yes, this is true. Its antenna is that long. It is said that it can search the WiFi network within 4 km.  Also the seller will provide you a free crack software which can crack the WEP encrypted password within half an hour.
Currently there are three encryptions used by WiFi: WEP, WPA,  and WPA2. Though WEP is deprecated (according to wikipedia, today a WEP connection can be cracked with readily available software within minutes), believe it or not, it is still supported and used by WiFi devices. I just looked at my own TP-Link WiFi router, oh my god, I have configured it as my encryption algorithm and my password is only 5 characters long.  Though compared with WEP, WPA and WPA2 are enhanced, this doesn’t mean they are safe. Take a look at what wiki reports, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-


No comments:

Post a Comment